[CentOS-mirror] centos.alteeve.com temporarily down

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Apr 21 19:21:31 EDT 2011

On 04/21/2011 06:56 PM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 04/21/2011 01:59 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> On 04/21/2011 12:39 PM, Digimer wrote:
>>> I've been experience repeated apache hangs. I've had to temporarily
>>> disable this mirror while I diagnose. I will re-enable it as soon as
>>> possible.
>>
>> My server is stable without this mirror running. Is there a way to limit
>> the load on a mirror? I'd really like to bring it back online, if
>> possible. Host OS is Apache2/Debian5.
>
> Are you running other services on the same machine?  It's generally best
> not to do this.
>
> You might want to try switching to Apache worker MPM (threaded) and
> disable any extensions that are unused (especially anything like PHP) to
> reduce resource usage.  You might also want to try a different web
> server like nginx or lighttpd.  For apache, something like mod_bw might
> help you to reduce bandwidth usage which could translate to lower load
> averages.
>
> Alternatively, try faster disks, more RAM and faster CPU.... :)

Heh, the server does run quite a lot of other stuff. Many of the of
virtual hosts use php and a pile of other things, so turning stuff off
isn't feasible. I could try a dedicated, light-weight httpd server
though... Being a separate process would open up the opportunity to
renice the process as well.

As for more resources... the server is maxed out, so any further
upgrades would require a new server, which just isn't in the cards in
the near future.

Mods; Please remove centos.alteeve.com from the mirror list for now. As
soon as I get a dedicated webserver up, I'll post again to re-add it and
see how that goes. Sorry for the hassle.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com