[CentOS-mirror] out of date master mirrors

James A. Peltier

jpeltier at sfu.ca
Sat Jul 9 17:05:44 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| Hi,
|
| "eu-msync.centos.org has address 217.115.169.1
| 2011-07-09 11:29:46
| msync.CentOS.org rsync service (centosh2)"
|
| Above server just deleted 6.0 of our mirror, and some other updates as
| well. Would it make sense to disable rsync from machines that are not
| yet up2date during a major version update? That way traffic could be
| greatly reduced. For now i removed --delete from the script, but in my
| opinion temporary disabling rsync from out-of-date machines would be
| better, since it can be better controlled.

This is precisely why I sent a notice that you remove any --delete flags.  Any time there is a major release 3=>4=>5=>6 you should remove these flags so that content isn't destroyed while there is a lot of mirror flux.  Usually one or two weeks after release I tend to put it back.

--
James A. Peltier
IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca