[CentOS-mirror] Redirects to https considered harmful

Anssi Johansson

avij at centosproject.org
Mon Aug 6 06:31:47 UTC 2018

So let's get this straight..

There are a few CentOS mirrors that redirect their http traffic to
https. This is fairly easy nowadays with Let's Encrypt and their
automatic cert installation scripts. While I believe that the intention
is good, I'm afraid the forced redirects are not actually helping.

I can't speak for other projects, but for CentOS mirrors, I believe that
you should respond using the same protocol the request was sent. My
concern is that there are organizations (hospitals, banks, research
centers etc) that want to make sure no confidential information leaks
out from their organization. Connections to random HTTPS sites may get
blocked at their firewall because the firewall can't see what's inside
the request.

It should also be pointed out that the scripts behind
http://mirror-status.centos.org/ will (currently) happily follow all
kinds of redirects to retrieve the timestamp file. However, the scripts
that create the actual data for mirrorlist.centos.org for each
repository are unable to access https URLs. So the moment you set up
that redirect to https, your mirror stopped being included in the output
of mirrorlist.centos.org.

I have already tried reaching out to a few mirrors doing such redirects,
but I have not received a response yet. Those mirrors will eventually be
disabled after a few more automatic nag emails, but I'm hoping that
those mirror operators would exclude their CentOS mirror traffic from
the redirects before that happens.

To be clear, you are free to offer CentOS files over https, but the
redirects should be disabled. I can see the CentOS mirror system
supporting https and mirrorlist.c.o (optionally) handing out https URLs
some day, but even then, I believe that http requests should be answered
with http, and https requests should be answered with https.

Thank you for your time!