[CentOS-mirror] OT: the goal of this list

Fabian Arrotin

arrfab at centos.org
Mon Oct 14 12:53:51 UTC 2019

On 14/10/2019 14:48, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I just have noticed that I throw away all that comes through this list before I even comprehend what particular message is about. I first thought badly about myself, as I know my subscription here is for receiving something viral/critical as public mirror maintainer.
>
> However, I finally realized that it is not because I’m this bad, it is just human nature: most of the message carry nothing I need to know. And I only write because I realized that when something really critical will be sent to all mirror maintainer, large part of them will just throw away that critical message as the routinely do it with majority of messages sent through thin list.
>
> I hope, this my message will be helpful.
>
> Valeri
>
> PS As list maintainer, I will stay duly subscribed to this list.

Hi Valeri,

As stated on the dedicated wiki page
(https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/CreatePublicMirrors)  mirrors admins
have to subscribe to two lists :

<paste>
the CentOS-mirror mailing list:
post and announce your public mirror)

the CentOS-mirror-announce mailing list:
traffic, moderated and for announcements by the CentOS team going out to
the admins of public CentOS mirrors)
</paste>

So, if you just want to read notifications about coming from centos
infra team, just read the ones coming from centos-mirror-announce.
This list is about new mirrors or existing mirror updates, so as long as
people are tracking the -announce list, and also that email contact info
registered initially is still working/valid, I personally don't mind if
people even unsubscribe from *this* list :)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab