[CentOS-promo] FrOSCon 2008

Andreas Rogge a.rogge at solvention.de
Thu Apr 10 14:23:49 UTC 2008

Hi,

I don't have any idea if a devroom is a good idea or not. However, I
feel that running a devroom and especially doing discussion there is a
general issue on every event.
People want to attend presentations, they should take part in discussion
and somebody has to man the booth.
So what I'd suggest is that we do not have any "official" CentOS
discussion during the day, so we still have enough people to man the
booth even when someone wants to attend a presentation.

The downside is that we'd have to do the discussion in the morning or in
the evening. As I don't like to get up even earlier (I guess most people
will agree) we'd have to do the discussion in the evening.
For most events that means the devrooms are closed (because the whole
event site is closed) and usually people are hungry and want to go to
dinner.

So I guess the best way to run a working discussion (i.e. one where
everybody can attend and nobody is waiting for food) would be in the
evening during and after dinner. This would require a bit more
organization concerning the dinner, because whoever organizes the dinner
would have to make sure that the enviroment is discussion-friendly.
What would be required imo are quiet surroundings (i.e. not dozens of
uninvolved people talking in the background), a table where everyone can
see everybody's face (possibly a round table) and of course the
optional, but highly recommended WiFi.
I think it should be possible to find a place offering all that near
every event site as long as we have someone living near there who can
organize the event.
After all, that means we'd have to find someone who organizes the
evening event(s) ahead of time, but I think that should be doable.

For FrOSCon I could offer my apartment to have a discussion (and dinner)
with up to 6 people. If there are more people I know a few places which
should be able to fulfill most of the requirements. If desired, I could
organize that.

Concerning regular meetings I absolutely agree with you. As stated
above, I don't think an event is a good place to have internal
discussion. After all the events are there to show off the project and
to get in touch with other people/projects and not for internal discussion.
I wonder if there are enough people who would attend a "developer
weekend" somewhere. Organization for that isn't too hard to do and the
event itself is cheap. The problem that always arises is travel and
accomodation expenses.
However, I remember last year at FrOSCon there was somebody from
Linuxhotel[1] at our booth and offered a special deal for free software
projects that isn't officially announced on their website. That would at
least lower the accomodation expenses, but the travel cost will stay.

Regards,
Andreas

P.S. my apartment has funitures, internet access and a working kitchen
now :)

[1] http://www.linuxhotel.de/

--
Solvention