[CentOS-promo] [Fwd: FOSDEM: Devroom details: Fedora + CentOS]

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Mon Dec 29 20:03:09 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: FOSDEM: Devroom details: Fedora + CentOS
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:32:26 +0100
From: Pascal Bleser <loki at fosdem.org>
To: Fabian Arrotin <arrfab at centos.org>, Frederic Hornain
<fhornain at gmail.com>
CC: FOSDEM DevRooms <devrooms at fosdem.org>

1) WHAT YOU GET FROM US
=======================
Here is what we put at your disposal:
- - the room "H.2213" with a capacity of 100 seats (in the building "H"),
   - on Saturday 2009-02-07 from 12:00 to 18:00
   and
   - on Sunday 2009-02-08 from 09:00 to 17:00
- - a video projector with VGA cable
- - Internet connectivity (wifi A and B only, no wired)

On Saturday, if needed, we can open up your room an hour earlier (at
11:00), but don't include any planned talk there because we still have
our keynotes in parallel. And if you'd like to have the room opened
earlier, please let us know beforehand (by email).

I would also recommend to plan the first 15min or so with a little
welcome talk so you can prepare the first "real" speaker (network,
connect to video projector, etc...).

Please note that at all times, someone must be present in the room as we
have expensive networking gear in there as well as the video projector.

In case you'd like to leave stuff at the campus from Saturday to Sunday:
we have a large room at our disposal that will be locked from Saturday
18:00 to Sunday 09:00 but we will not take responsibility if something
gets stolen or broken. The university has security staff present on the
campus, but there is no insurance whatsoever.

We would also like to point out that the room capacity may not be
exceeded, at least not by much. In 2008 there were a lot of rooms that
were extremely overcrowded (almost twice as much as the number of
seats), and doing so is the most effective way of killing the event.
If the security staff of the university, or if the fire department
checks the location during the event, we will be thrown out and will
never be able to organize FOSDEM at that location again. For a room of
capacity 100 seats, having 120 people is probably acceptable, but not
more than that. We're really sorry that we're not able to offer rooms
that have enough capacity for all projects, and we don't always know
beforehand how to best balance the room sizes. But it's all we can
offer. We will provide you with signs to put on the doors of the
devrooms to signify that the room is full.
But again, I can't stress that enough, when the room is full, tough
luck. There are almost always 18 talks in parallel during the whole
weekend, so.. no reason to be bored, nor feel sorry ;)

While it isn't advertised on our website yet, there will again be the
traditional "FOSDEM Beer Event" on Friday evening, at the same bar as
last year, the (almost legendary) Delirium Cafe [1].
It is pretty large and has a menu of around 2000 beers, acceptable
prices (especially compared to outside of Belgium ;)) and we'll have a
little discount on beer for FOSDEM visitors. You might want to meet up
there on Friday eve. But given the huge FOSDEM crowd present there last
year, it was also quite packed :)

[1]http://www.anaesthesic.be/delirium/home/?lang=en

We don't plan any activity on Saturday evening, so you might want to
organize a gathering for your people somewhere in Brussels, where the
options in terms of getting food and drinks are numerous.

This year, for the first time, we will also organize a "spouses tour", a
guided tour of Brussels. It is free of charge for participants (except
maybe a few euros for taking the tram or such) and we're contracting
professional guides. If interested, for example for your less FOSS
interested partners, make sure to register ASAP so we know how many
guides+tours to order: http://fosdem.org/2009/spouses-tour

2) WHAT WE GET FROM YOU
=======================
If you've never been to FOSDEM before, and in case it wasn't clear: we
obviously don't want any money. Attending and having a devroom or a
stand is free of charge for everyone. There is no registration of any
sorts either. Just come to the event, period :)

We'd just ask you to come to the FOSDEM Infodesk when you arrive, just
to let us know that you're there.

You are free to manage the schedule inside your devroom as you wish and
plan talks, hacking sessions, BoF discussions, whatever. But always keep
in mind that FOSDEM is a FOSS community event, organized by the
community for the community. We're a non-profit organization and don't
accept vendor talks. So make sure that the stuff that will take place in
your room is strongly related to FOSS projects and communities. (I guess
that's obvious for everyone but well.. ;))

But we will need the following information from you, as a devroom
organizer, in order to publish the schedule of each devroom on our
website and include it in a summarized form in the folder we distribute
(freely) to every visitor:

2.1) Speakers:
==============
For each person that holds a talk/session in your devroom, we need the
following information:
- - the real name
- - a short bio
- - optionally some contact information (email, JabberID, ...), will be
published on the website
- - optionally a photo, will be published on the website (as you wish, but
it's always nice to put a face on a name :)) -- if possible, please send
it to us as a PNG of size 128x128
- - optionally links to website, blog, ...

2.2) Sessions:
==============
For each session taking place in your devroom, we need the following
information:
- - a short title
- - an abstract (1-2 paragraphs)
- - optionally a longer description
- - links to project website, blogs, articles, etc...
- - name(s) of the speaker(s)

Please have a look at our FOSDEM 2008 archive to get an idea of what we
need and what it'll look like on our website:
http://archive.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/speakers/dalibor+topic
http://archive.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/events/embedded_qtopia
http://archive.fosdem.org/2008/schedule/devroom/mozilla

3) DEADLINE
===========
The deadline for sending us that information is
*********************
* Monday 2009-01-12 *
*********************
but the sooner the better (it'll be earlier on the website, and will
also make our life easier as we have to hack all that content into our
CMS). You can also send us partial data, even if your schedule isn't
complete yet, if you already have *confirmed* speakers/sessions.

Please send us that data in plain text (inline or attached) by
email and clearly mention the name of your project in the subject, as
we'll have plenty of work tracking all that. I mean UTF-8 text, not an
OpenOffice.org document or PDF file.

If you don't send us everything, the schedule of your devroom won't be
in our folder, nor on the website, nor on the schedule maps we'll put
everywhere. Which would be a pity. Remember that there are almost 250
talks held during the week-end so, if you want people to notice your
sessions and take part, it's clearly better to have it announced ;)

We're also aware that the deadline is pretty tough to keep, especially
this year as the event takes place two weeks earlier (and that I'm very
late in sending you the relevant information, swamped into work, my two
children and whatnot -- sorry for that :\).

There will be a hard deadline for including schedules in the folder,
which I'll communicate as soon as it's fixed.

And, of course, if you have any questions, please contact us at
devrooms at fosdem.org

cheers
- --
   -o) Pascal Bleser <loki at fosdem.org>    http://www.fosdem.org
   /\\     FOSDEM 2009 :: 7 + 8 February 2009 in Brussels
  _\_v Free and Opensource Software Developers European Meeting

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>