[CentOS-promo] FrOSCon: Information and Request

Thu Jul 17 10:22:09 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Marcus Moeller wrote:

>> If you give me your wiki login I can give you write access on the FrOSCon
>> page. So you can add yourself and help with the organisational stuff.
>
> My wiki account is MarcusMoeller. But my first question is: because Tim does
> not take part does not mean that the booth on FrOSCon is canceled?!

No, we only commit to a booth if we are certain we can keep it open
(usually that means 2 or 3 persons guarantee to be present). If only one
person commits to a booth, he needs to be there _all_ the time and that is
practically impossible (depending on the kind of event).

You have write-access so you can add yourself and any ideas you have :-)

>>        http://wiki.centos.org/Events/FrOSCon2008
>>
>> For the booth at LinuxTag we had:
>>
>>  - dedicated laptop+TFT screen for showing CentOS information to visitors
>> (dag)
>>  - dedicated laptop for demoing CentOS (ralph)
>>  - posters, flyers and business cards (dag)
>>  - CentOS DVD and LiveCD media (tim) to burn on-the-fly
>>
>> We also have German and English slides to show at the booth (for the idle
>> systems) and python script to show off compiz that definitely could use some
>> improvements. (I will add the latest material to the wiki this evening)
>>
>> My experience is that both at FrOSCon and LinuxTag it mostly has German
>> attendees and therefor should have sufficient German-talking people.
>> So your help is gratefully accepted ;-)
>
> I could also provide a Desktop PC and a TFT for presentation.  Maybe I can
> prepare some cool CentOS stickers.

That would be really nice. I would like to have 2 kinds of stickers:

  - stickers to put on the back of your laptop to promote CentOS

  - small stickers to put below your keyboard to replace the Windows, Intel
    or Nvidia sticker. (CentOS Inside)

However it is very important that for these stickers they do not damage
the property. So it depends on the adhessive used.

We do have a small budget (from media donations) that we can spend on
this. If we want to go for a larger amount to drop the costs we have to
ask the CentOS project for a budget. I would prefer the second option.

For the design I think we need to do some sort of contest and then let
people decide what they prefer.

Also, I would not just give stickers away because people than take them.
What we really should do is give a sticker only to people that can proof
they are already running CentOS and/or if they put it on a computer in our
presence.

And if they want more than one, we can ask for a donation to cover our
expenses. I think that would work quite well and introduce funny scenes at
the booth.