[CentOS-promo] Some thougts about the ToDo List

Mon Jun 16 16:18:06 UTC 2008
Daniel de Kok <me at danieldk.org>

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Daniel de Kok wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Bill Quinn <bill.quinn at linuxit.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> At LinuxIT we offer commercial support for CentOS from business hours to
>>> fully managed. We would welcome the opportunity to have details of our
>>> offerings and our logo on centos.org and on the wiki, especially if we
>>> could put something back into the community.
>>
>> I think it would be useful to have an alphabetic consultant list very
>> much like this:
>> http://www.netbsd.org/gallery/consultants.html
>
> We do have to be careful that the list does not bitrot, and that there is a
> balance of big and smaller companies.
>
> The reason why we currently do not have a list is because in the past it was
> seen as a way to monetize that list and I think that still is blocking any
> progress.
>
> The problem with asking money to appear on the list is that you loose the
> balance of all players in the market and you are advertising those that are
> big enough to pay the fee.

Indeed, that's one of the reasons why I have never been a real
proponent for a paid-for list. Just as CentOS helps leveraging
start-ups by avoiding support fees if they don't need upstream's
support, I think we should stimulate a fair market for CentOS
consultants, both big and small. An additional problem I see with
this, is that it makes the line between CentOS as a non-profit project
and CentOS as an enterprise selling advertising space very thin.

That said, I am not putting hours a day into CentOS (just some
occasional Yum/Python hacking). And I think the opinions of developers
who do pour that much time into CentOS should be considered with more
weight.

Take care,
Daniel