[CentOS-promo] CentOS 5.2 Promo

Wed Jun 25 09:04:22 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> wonderer wrote:
>
>> * make new banner
>
> Banner for where ?

I guess banners for people to put on their website. We definitely should
have some artwork that people can easily add to help promote CentOS.

>> * make new "get CentOS 5.x NOW" Button
>
> Do we want update level buttons ? Perhaps we are much better off promoting
> the main release level only for things like buttons.

I agree. The opportunity to lead people to a very new release is only one
or two weeks. After that the special feeling gradually disappears, so for
people that want to add this button to their page they run the risk of
promoting an old release if they do not update it.

>> 2 weeks before
>> * make announcement to major PR agencies
>
> We can do that, and also include major magazines ( there are quite a few who
> have made contact with different people in centos over the years - perhaps we
> should have a list of all these PR agencies and Magazines on the wiki
> somewhere ? )

If we have such a list I would not make it publically accessible. We have
to be very careful about such things. Also we should avoid non-personal
(bulk) messages to any of these contacts, every mail should have a
personal touch.

> Also, the QA people are encouraged to blog about things. Maybe we should prod
> them a bit more with longer sticks.

Yes, blogging should be promoted more.

> Specially not with a 2 - 3 week lead time. So what we might need to do is
> start doing the PR and Promo activities right from the date of upstream
> release, in a phased manner like you have laid out, but rather than work back
> from the release date, would we be able to work forward from the upstream
> release date ? After all, there is no reason why we should stop doing this
> once the release is out.

Indeed; The time is now !