[CentOS-promo] CentOS 5.2 Promo

Wed Jun 25 07:44:57 UTC 2008

wonderer wrote:
> Hy all,
>
> how about the Promotion of the 5.2 Release?
> Here are some thoughts (sorry, I did'nt know the timeframe when is "the
> plan" to get officialy online with that or is it already ... so its for
> 5.3 ;-) ).
>
> several weeks before:
> * what is new (collect Infos)

That is mostly available in the upstream Release Notes.

> * make new banner

Banner for where ?

> * make new "get CentOS 5.x NOW" Button

Do we want update level buttons ? Perhaps we are much better off
promoting the main release level only for things like buttons.

> * prepare pressrelease (if major release)

Cool. Is anyone offering to do this ?

> 2 weeks before
> * make announcement to major PR agencies

We can do that, and also include major magazines ( there are quite a few
who have made contact with different people in centos over the years -
perhaps we should have a list of all these PR agencies and Magazines on
the wiki somewhere ? )

Also, the QA people are encouraged to blog about things. Maybe we should
prod them a bit more with longer sticks.

> * look in our own community (e.g. the guys who already use RH 5.x)

Not sure what this point means... Also, I hope you had a typo there and
meant RHEL 5 and not RH 5 ( RH 5 is their release from 1998 iirc ).

> 1 week before
> * make announcements to online magazines

Dont magazines need a longer notice period to get things in ?

> * send last pressarticles on the way
>
> 1-2 days before
> * set up PlanetCentOS and our own Blogs
> *  post on mailinglist
> * post on other ezines, etc.

One thing that is worth pointing out is that we dont work to a release
date, its released when its ready, so working back from release date is
never going to happen. What we could do is setup a tentative date that
seems reasonable, then work back from there but we cant commit to a
release date even then. Specially not with a 2 - 3 week lead time. So
what we might need to do is start doing the PR and Promo activities
right from the date of upstream release, in a phased manner like you
have laid out, but rather than work back from the release date, would we
be able to work forward from the upstream release date ? After all,
there is no reason why we should stop doing this once the release is out.

> So, for 5.2 we need i think ASAP this things
> The Artwork I can do, but I need some short infos on whats new and if
> there should be pressreleases or "only" Centos Announcement,
> PlanetCentOS and mailinglist...

The official CentOS Announcement is whats the main issue, anything and
everything that also carries this info needs to point back at that
announcement and url to the list post.

- KB

PS: Am a late arrival to this conversation, so apologies if I am
reasking stuff already discussed before.