[CentOS-promo] Talk at Fosdem

Tue Jan 6 22:19:34 UTC 2009
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Didi wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to propose a talk for Fosdem08. I was involved in the
> single sign on strategy for CERN, this amounted to synchronize 263
> Million user accounts. I was using Scientific Linux for this, but
> everything I have learned can be applied to CentOS. The talk would be
> about how CentOS can be used on the server side and on the client to
> have an arbitrary number of user accounts. Further I would explore the
> difficulties that such a vast amount of users poses and what
> interesting discoveries I made.
> I hope this is of interest.
>
> Cheers Didi
> ----
> www.ribalba.de
> Email / Jabber: ribalba at gmail.com
> Skype : ribalba

Hi Didi,

First of all, let me thank you for your offer. I put the centos-promo
list in CC so that everybody can follow the discussion : it's the
official place to discuss about all the presentations/ways to promote
CentOS at events.

I've read your presentation available here (if i'm not wrong) :
http://dec.bournemouth.ac.uk/staff/ghoffman/papers/talks/Hepix08/hepix08.pdf
?

Let me clarify a little bit (and don't get me wrong) : Fosdem is all
about opensource solutions and *only* opensource solutions, so talking
about using Active Directory based solution for authentication (and so
talking about the benefits of Windows 2008 Read-Only DC) is surely not
the 'goal' of such event. BTW they have real stricts rules on that and
they can even 'kick out' people talking about commercial products : i've
even seen two years ago the Fosdem organizers kicking out people try to
sell an automated penguin robot because it was considered a commercial
product.

So i don't know what other people think of the presentation content, but
i doubt that it will make it for the Fosdem audience ...
But as already said, don't get me wrong ! It's surely an interesting
presentation and technically very interesting. I'm sure that such
presentation can be given in a more 'commercial' oriented event (like
for example the LinuxWorldExpo) and be considered a very interesting
business case.

So can you clarify this a little bit on your side ?

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>