[CentOS-promo] DVD Media / Any needed before 6.3 release?

Tue Feb 7 15:10:09 UTC 2012
Khusro Jaleel <mailing-lists at kerneljack.com>

On 02/07/2012 11:14 AM, Andreas Rogge wrote:
> I haven't had time to do the inventory yet, but I guess it was almost
> equal share between the x86_64 Live, i386 Install and x86_64 Install. I
> was surprised how many people actually took the i386 install DVDs.

Hi Andreas!

I was surprised by that too.

> So for now, I don't propose to do a DL DVD anymore.

I agree, I don't think I have ever bought any, they are much more expensive.

> However, I do propose to merge x86_64 and i386 Live DVDs. They will both
> fit onto a single-layer DVD.
> That would bring us from 4 different Images down to three.

Could we do i386/x86_64 Install as well? That would be cool too. Then
it's simply 2 images and we can give simpler instructions to people at
conferences: If you want to play around before installing, use the Live
one, otherwise use the Install one.

> In fact we could try to do what Fedora did. They're able to autodetect
> 32-bit/64-bit and boot the appropriate Live Image. As that happens
> inside the bootloader we should be able to reproduce it.
>
> If it is appreciated, I'd give it a try.

+1