[CentOS-promo] Announcing and promoting Dojos

Wed Mar 12 12:26:17 UTC 2014
Rejy M Cyriac <rcyriac at redhat.com>

On 03/12/2014 05:18 PM, Gene Liverman wrote:
> I think you should post them on http://www.meetup.com as, at least
> around here, that seems to be where all the user groups are and where a
> lot of people go looking for things to do.

We had the same point come up during discussions at a recent Fedora User
meet at Bangalore, India. We decided to continue using the Fedora
project pages and mailing lists to announce and track meets, and also
use other local mailing lists, IRC channels, and direct contacts.

It appears that meetup.com is fast becoming the brand for organising
meetings, but it comes with the risk of getting your brand locked-in to
the meetup.com brand. Organising meetings through meetup.com is
inevitable for those groups which do not have their own infrastructure,
but not so much for those who do. So it is a risk call that you need to
take. I would go for the staying free route.

-rejy (rmc)