[CentOS-promo] Announcing and promoting Dojos

Wed Mar 12 16:56:34 UTC 2014
Lalatendu Mohanty <lmohanty at redhat.com>

On 03/12/2014 05:56 PM, Rejy M Cyriac wrote:
> On 03/12/2014 05:18 PM, Gene Liverman wrote:
>> I think you should post them on http://www.meetup.com as, at least
>> around here, that seems to be where all the user groups are and where a
>> lot of people go looking for things to do.
>>

> We had the same point come up during discussions at a recent Fedora User
> meet at Bangalore, India. We decided to continue using the Fedora
> project pages and mailing lists to announce and track meets, and also
> use other local mailing lists, IRC channels, and direct contacts.
>
> It appears that meetup.com is fast becoming the brand for organising
> meetings, but it comes with the risk of getting your brand locked-in to
> the meetup.com brand. Organising meetings through meetup.com is
> inevitable for those groups which do not have their own infrastructure,
> but not so much for those who do. So it is a risk call that you need to
> take. I would go for the staying free route.
>
> -rejy (rmc)

Doesn't that mean, we shouldn't be using twitter, FB, G+ etc. IMO same
rules applies to all web portals, social networking websites.

That being said I am not against metup.com (specially when we are using
other social networking platforms). Also I don't see anything wrong with
using meetup.com as of now.

Thanks,
Lala