[CentOS-virt] Re: VMware tools in standard CentOS

Tru Huynh tru at pasteur.fr
Wed Dec 12 18:55:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:40:06AM -0800, Andrew Sharpe wrote:
> [ Sorry for the very belated response ]
>
> Thanks, Tru. What is the process for Sean's work to make it into the
> standard CentOS5 and 5.1 repositories? How will the tools package get
> updated as you patch the kernel? Perhaps we should cc Sean on the
> email? His home page on the Duke server has no contact information.

Let's have a look at his work and his redistribution license (spec).
We could either start with his spec or roll our our own.

We might need to make a special "virtualisation" repo
which will hold open-vm-tools or push that back into "extras".

There is also the kernel-vm rpms and prebuilt vmware guests which can go either
route.

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1722
http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2189

on my increasing todo list: document the creation and maintenance of
the vmware guests (still 4.5 and 5.0).

Cheers,

Tru
--