[CentOS-virt] xen dependencies

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Dec 30 19:25:43 UTC 2007

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I did attempt to see what's different, but the problem is the groupinstall appears to want to install X as well so I am lost to know what is really needed.

groupinstall is not the only yum group operation availalble..

> Further testing allowed me to get a one machine to work after a bare install with simply a #yum install xen so I am obviously now wrong in my assessment. At this point I believe it to be a simple problem in the CentOS/RH package of Xen (Or Xen itself) as I did try a Fedora Core 8 install and the same behavior was now noted: Some machines function before and after, and some don't function after!

That just sounds like random testing, if you dont have the specifics on
what you consider to be a minimal install along with package lists, you
are not going to get anything that is reproduce able as a means to get
Xen working with minimal install.

> My Linux experience is far too new to allow me to troubleshoot through it, but considering the magnitude of machines I have tried I am shocked if this behavior is not exhibited with other people.

Well, I suggest you work out how rpm and yum works and how packages are
handled. All you are trying to do, my guess is, work out what is the
minimal packageset required to get a functional Xen based virt setup in
your environment.