[CentOS-virt] New to the list ... Looking foranyrecommendations inre: VMWare Vs. Xen

Holtz,Robert

Robert.Holtz at edwardjones.com
Fri Nov 9 21:45:06 UTC 2007

Hmm ... You make an good point.

So it sounds to me that ease of use and performance can both be achieved
with VMWare on *nix.

Over the past 20+ years I've had far too many driver nightmares on
multiple operating systems so this is something that can easy drive me
away.  I'm just going for the path of least resistance.

When you tested the two against each other what were your metrics ...
just curious.  Since I'm, more or less, looking to build a server farm
(4 MS) I'm not concerned about video but hard drive performance would be
of interest.  The other *nix VM's mentioned: Solaris & Fedora, are just
for reference so performance on these is a non-issue.

This drifts a bit off topic but what are your thoughts on running VM's
on their own hard drives, i.e., having all of the VM files stored on a
RAID5 volume or each on its' own HDD?  I'm looking at RAID5 for the
primary storage volume (nVidia motherboard based).

 If you are not the intended recipient of this message (including attachments), or if you have received this message in error, immediately notify us and delete it and any attachments.  If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from Edward Jones, please send this request to messages at edwardjones.com.  You must include the e-mail address that you wish not to receive e-mail communications.  For important additional information related to this e-mail, visit www.edwardjones.com/US_email_disclosure