[CentOS-virt] KVM + bridge + static ip address

Fri Aug 8 18:35:45 UTC 2008
Raymond C. Rodgers <sinful622 at gmail.com>

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Raymond C. Rodgers wrote on Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:27:50 -0700:
>

>> My company recently rented a server on which CentOS 5.0 is installed,
>> and my goal is to set up a virtualized instance of CentOS for a new
>> employee to tinker and learn on before I let him have hands on the real
>> server.
>>

> If you are both so new to this then simply virt-install a CentOS VM. It
> will work out of the box without using brctl and what else. If not already
> in use, switch to the xen kernel for this.
>
> Kai

I'm more familiar with KVM than I am Xen; I've managed to get QEMU/KVM
virtual machines up and running, I'm just concerned about the bridging
angle. Although I haven't done any configuring yet, I'm not as sure of
myself when it comes to Xen, and have only dabbled a bit.

That said, if Xen will let me accomplish this with minimum fuss, then
I'll happily switch to that for this virtual box. Is there anything in
particular I need to look out for with Xen?

Thanks,
Raymond