[CentOS-virt] Need Help with Xen Please

Brett Serkez bserkez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:58:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Brett Worth <brett at worth.id.au> wrote:
> Jason Taylor wrote:
> When you connect to the Centos server from your remote console you said before that you're
> using ssh.  Is this from another Linux system?  You need to ensure that you have access to
> your local graphical interface from the remote server i.e. that you have a valid DISPLAY
> variable set.  If "echo $DISPLAY" returns an empty string then maybe you just need to do
> "ssh -X centos_server" when connecting so that ssh will forward the X11 back to your
> display.  Then virt-manager should work.

Sometimes ssh -Y works when ssh -X doesn't.  Over time I've started
using ssh -Y as it always works.

If the server is setup correctly, it will not allow you to ssh as
root, you'll need to ssh -Y as yourself and then su -.  When you use
the su command you might loose the DISPLAY variable, in this case
simply re-establish it and all should work.

If you workstation is Linux, you have an X-Display running.  If it is
Windows, you can use Cygwin as your X-Server.

Brett