[CentOS-virt] Machine freeze

Mathew S. McCarrell

mccarrms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:18:41 UTC 2009

Hey,

I'm wondering if it is possible that your problem is related to mine.
Earlier today I had to restart one of our domUs on one of our systems.  I
used xm shutdown instead of xm destroy and then did xm list to determine if
the domU had shutdown or not.  Upon issuing xm list a second time, the
entire server crashed and rebooted.

I've checked the logs and have yet to find anything.  I've attached a
transcript of the commands as I executed them on the server.  The system is
running CentOS 5.3 x64 w/Xen (kernel 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Mathew S. McCarrell
Clarkson University '10

mccarrms at gmail.com
mccarrms at clarkson.edu

2009/4/7 Maros Timko <timkom at gmail.com>

> Hi all,
>
> thanks to all for valuable replies.
> It seems like we identified the issue. We assured that it is not HW related
> as it was already reproduced on different machines and platforms, with
> different BIOS versions.
> We are running a system performance/statistics collector that executes
> "xentop" command on Dom0 regularly. This is causing issues. If we execute:
> xentop -b -d 0.1 > /dev/null
> in multiple instances, it will freeze the system.
> It was reproduced on CentOS 5.3 (kernel-xen-2.6.18-128.1.6.el5) system.
> There is created a bug for this issue:
> http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3454
>
> With regards,
>
> Tino
>

> 2009/4/3 Maros TIMKO <timko at pobox.sk>
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we are running CentOS 5.2 Xen virtualization system with the latest CentOS
>> packages with couple of VMs on DELL PowerEdge. "Sometimes" the whole machine
>> freezes without anything in log files, anything on the console. "Sometimes"
>> really means we cannot define why or when. Sometimes the machine was idle
>> with just one VM, sometimes quite busy with couple of VMs.
>>
>>  Has anybody had the same experience? If yes, any hints on how to resolve
>> it or how to trace the cause?
>>

>> Thanks.

-------------- next part --------------
[mccarrms at isengard ~]$ ssh xen1
               ___
 __ _____ ___ <  /
 \ \ / -_) _ \/ /
/_\_\\__/_//_/_/

Last login: Mon Apr 27 11:26:22 2009 from isengard.cslabs.clarkson.edu
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ sudo xm list

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     9899     8 r-----  12458.2
atp                                       11      255     1 -b----  72748.8
auth                                       1      127     1 -b----    121.7
autoguilt                                  2      255     1 -b----    523.2
dukr                                       3      255     1 -b----    770.4
list                                       5      255     1 -b----    191.4
management                                 6      255     1 -b----    517.4
osp1                                       7      255     1 -b----     70.4
osp2                                       8      255     1 -b----     68.8
tremulous                                  9      255     1 -b---- 397287.4
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ xm console atp
ERROR Internal error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (13 = Permission denied)
Error: Most commands need root access. Please try again as root.
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ sudo xm console atp
Out of Memory: Kill process 2626 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96585 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 2627 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 2694 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96565 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 2695 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 2914 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96210 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 2915 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 3014 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96153 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 3015 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 3018 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96177 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 3019 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 4466 (spectrum) score 189626 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 4466 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 6324 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96129 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 6325 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 10680 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96147 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 10681 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 10800 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96167 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 10801 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 10852 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96159 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 10853 (spectrum).
Out of Memory: Kill process 10856 (TreeLimitedRun) score 96218 and children.
Out of memory: Killed process 10857 (spectrum).
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ xm shutdown atp
ERROR Internal error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (13 = Permission denied)
Error: Most commands need root access. Please try again as root.
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ sudo xm shutdown atp
[mccarrms at xen1 ~]$ sudo xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0     9899     8 r-----  12459.1
atp                                       11      255     1 -b----  72749.6
auth                                       1      127     1 -b----    121.7
autoguilt                                  2      255     1 -b----    523.2