[CentOS-virt] state of lfarkas KVM repository + Centos KVM wiki

Thu Apr 23 22:28:35 UTC 2009
Farkas Levente <lfarkas at lfarkas.org>

first of all bottom post:-)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> I forgot to mention that kvm-kmod rpm's are kernel based (they copy
> files to specific kernel folders.
>
> I am right now in the process to build rpm's for several mainstream
> kernels from 5.2 and 5.3 for i386 systems.
>
> you will be able to download it from
> http://www.plcomputers.net/download/plc-centos5-custom/ in few hours.
>
> NOTICE: I am not veteran in rpm build's (but I had help from Farkas
> Levente considering proper compiling of kvm-kmod) so please first use
> them on non-production systems.
>
> Ljubomir
>

> Julian Price wrote:
>> Rainer Traut wrote:
>>  >
>>  > But my actual question is, what's the state of lfarkas repository?
>>  > Can it be trusted? Sadly there is no frontpage on http://www.lfarkas.org/
>>  >

>> Levente Farkas contributes on the centos-devel list and I have seen
>> several other posts from people using those RPMs so yes, I trust them.
>>
>> I have been asking for them to be put them into a repository...
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2009-April/004419.html
>> ...but I guess sorting out issues arising from CentOS 5.3 is higher
>> priority right now.
>>
>> Running KVM as an unpriviledged user is on my to-do list so I will
>> follow the outcome of that thread with interest.

as i wrote to you this kmod rpm (as all other centos kmods) use
weak-updates so the kernel version is not included in the version by
desing. it's working with _all_ centos 5.x kernel.

anyway i'll provide these rpms until centos-5.4 released and lets see
what will be in 5.4 and then...
anyway my current suggestion to use kvm-84.
as i be able to put together a consistent build far in my end i'll try
to provide i386 rpms too, but as i only use 64bit hosts i only compile it.