[CentOS-virt] Has anyone gotten Fedora 12 running as a Xen guest?

Pasi Kärkkäinen

pasik at iki.fi
Tue Dec 1 18:15:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:35:12PM -0500, Scot P. Floess wrote:
> I am running CentOS 5.4 (both i386 and x86_64 - different physical
> machines)...  I've been able to get Fedora 11 running as a Xen guest - no
> trouble.  However, I have had no luck with Fedora 12.  My kickstart file
> lists /boot as ext3 - but for whatever reason Fedora 12 insists on making
> /boot ext4.
>
> I do have a bare metal machine running Fedora 12, so I thought "let me try
> to put together a kickstart file denoting /boot as ext3."  I ran
> system-config-kickstart and about the only difference I saw in syntax was
> --fstype="ext3" versus what I was doing which is --fstype ext3
>
> So, I changed my kickstart file to reflect --fstype="ext3" - the result is
> still the same:  Fedora 12 insists /boot be ext4.  As a result, when I run
> xm create <fedora vm name>, it fails stating "Error creating domain: Boot
> loader didn't return any data!"
>
> Please note, this is the same kickstart file I use to install CentOS 5.4
> (and in the past 5.3) guests - as well as Fedora 11 guests.
>
> Has anyone managed to get Fedora 12 running as a Xen guest???

Fedora 12 installer has a bug, it always creates /boot as ext4 even when
the kickstart script says ext3.

This is easy to overcome if you can do manual installation; the normal
installer (non-kickstart) works, and lets you create ext3 /boot
partition.

I'm running F12 Xen PV domUs installed this way, manually.

-- Pasi