[CentOS-virt] Slightly OT: FakeRaid or Software Raid

Wed Dec 2 12:53:45 UTC 2009
Ben M. <centos at rivint.com>

I have had great luck with nvidia fakeraid on RAID1, but I see there are
preferences for software raid. I have very little hands on with full
Linux software RAID and that was about 14 years ago.

I am trying to determine which to use on a rebuild in a "standard"
CentOS/Xen enviroment.

It seems to me that while FakeRaid is/can be completely taken care of in
dom0 dmraid whereas with software raid there *might* be an option to
pass that role off more granularly to the domUs and not performed by
dom0 at all. I have a small number of tiny domUs that rarely change
(like an OpenVPN) that are well handled just by backups and firewall
based failover and don't need RAID1.

Is there any feedback on where the performance and availability tweak is
here?