[CentOS-virt] Question - Xen host, DHCPD and guest VMs

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Fri Nov 6 17:46:51 UTC 2009

On 11/06/2009 07:05 PM, Scot P. Floess wrote:
> So, to be honest this is running on my home network ;)  I'm not too
> worried about security - there is nothing sensitive on my network as is :)
>
> Interesting, I never considered running a guest VM and it serving up dhcp
> addresses :D
>
> So, one thing about my home network is my machines don't all have much
> RAM.  This particular machine has 1 GB and is my "administrative"
> server - DNS, NIS, NFS, etc...  I slivered off a small VM for a postgres
> DB and like it to start up when the machine boots.  I do, sometimes bring
> that down and bring up another VM...
>
> I definitely understand what you mean though - but this isn't mission
> critical or anything so I don't mind it doing what its doing - it works
> fine to date by bouncing dhcpd - but I hate that ;)  I may try to get my
> cable modem-router to serve up dhcp - but I don't think it'll let me do
> ddns internally (that's another thing I am doing inside my network)...

64 MB is plenty for a minimal C5 running dhcpd. been there, done that.
[root at xenh1 ~]# xm list
Name                                      ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                   0      692     2 r-----  34832.4
backup                                     1      126     1 -b----   8412.6
biblioteca                                 2      510     1 -b----  67702.6
bugzilla                                   3      254     1 -b----  17413.8
cvs                                        8      254     1 -b----  13618.4
issuetracker                               5      126     1 -b----   3113.2
newswdep                                  21     1279     1 -b---- 459183.3

[root at router ~]# xm list      // machines running C4
Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
Domain-0                        0      694     1 r----- 94637.2
ls1                                8       64     1 -b----  1770.9
ls2                                12       64     1 -b----   532.7
ls3                                11       64     1 -b----   528.1