[CentOS-virt] XEN and RH 6

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 12:36:32 UTC 2009

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 01:20:11PM +0100, carlopmart wrote:
>> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>>> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:27:57AM +0100, carlopmart wrote:
>>>> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>>>>>> Still it isn't official, but Citrix XenServer will disappears soon ... It will be 
>>>>>> integrated under Microsoft Hyper-V ....
>>>>> Uhm.. I don't believe this. Where did you read that? 
>>>>> Citrix XenServer was opensourced last week, or the hypervisor+tools
>>>>> part, the xencenter management interface remains closed source (but it
>>>>> can also manage hyper-v).
>>>>>> IMHO, it isn't a good option to maintain domO virt servers based on CentOS or RHEL 
>>>>>> now ... It is the time to migrate to another solutions ...
>>>>> RHEL5, with Xen, will be fully supported by Redhat until 2014. They have
>>>>> clearly stated that many times.
>>>>> -- Pasi
>>>> Ok, I think I haven't explained well, sorry. Citrix Xenserver's hypervisor and tools 
>>>> was donated by Citrix last week, correct. But Citrix didn't release more versions of 
>>>> the product because it does not intend to develop it and apply new features. Citrix 
>>>> virtualization bussiness will be focused only on Management and Desktop 
>>>> virtualization using Hper-V as a first platform and second VMware.
>>> Where did you read this? You write it like it's a fact - I haven't seen
>>> that anywhere.. ??
>> This will be announced over next weeks ...
> Again, are you speculating, or is this a fact? I think Citrix XenServer 5.7
> will be released soon :)

Ok, stay and wait. But I repeat: Citrix will focused his efforts only on Management 
and Desktop virtualization, not on servers. First past it is do it: donate xenserver 
to opesource community.

>>>> And correct, RHEL5 Xen will be supported till 2014, but did you use a technology 
>>>> that upstream doesn't put the necessary resources to mantain and apply new features??
>>>> RedHat virtaulziation efforts are focused at 99% on KVM solutions, for Xen only 
>>>> applies security updates and nothing else.
>>> That's not true. Upcoming RHEL 5.5 will have Xen-related bugfixes as usual.
>>> -- Pasi
>> Bugfixes and security updates only, but what about new features like XCI, RAS 
>> fetures, etc?? Do you really think they are going to be ported by RedHat on his 
>> xen?? I think not.
> XCI has nothing to do with using Xen on servers. And yes, big new
> features most probably won't be ported to RHEL5.
> RHEL5 will be transferred to 'maintenance' mode after a while.. the
> feature that are there now will be there in the future aswell.
> Btw. the earlier list of options didn't list Novell SLES11.. it has
> pretty good implementation of Xen aswell (Xen 3.4.1 + 2.6.27 dom0 kernel).
> -- Pasi

I have a serious doubts about Novell and Oracle will do about Xen. We need to wait ...
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-virt mailing list
> CentOS-virt at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-virt

CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

More information about the CentOS-virt mailing list