[CentOS-virt] Xen to KVM migration

Mon Oct 12 12:48:24 UTC 2009
Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de>

Hi,
I'm thinking about how to go about migrating our Xen VMs to KVM. Migrating
the configuraton should be easy using the virsh dumpxml/define commands but
what is the best way to transfer the (logical volume based) images without
too much downtime for the guest system?

Can rsync operate on logical volumes? If so I could potentially use "dd" to
transfer an initial copy of the image to the destination host and then shut
down the guest, rsync the logical volumes which shouldn't take too long as
not much data has to be transfered thanks to the initial "dd" and then boot
the guest on the new machine.

Is something like this possible or would you do something different?

Regards,
   Dennis