[CentOS-virt] Domain0 with Kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen fails to boot Guests with Kernel 2.6.18-164.el5xen

Sun Sep 27 02:46:46 UTC 2009
Devraj Mukherjee <devraj at gmail.com>

Hi all,

I am in a bit of a fix here, I have several Guests paravirtualized
running on a Dom0 that is currently running the 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen
Kernel. All my guests (administered by different people) have
subsequently been updated to later versions of the kernel (namely
2.6.18-164.el5xen or 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5xen).

Ones that are still running are using the Kernel 2.6.18-128.4.1.el5xen
while Dom0 is still booted up into 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen

I restarted a Guest that's now trying to boot with the
2.6.18-164.el5xen Kernel and it spits out messages like
XENBUS: Waiting for devices to initialise: 295s...290s...

and eventually reboots.

If I try and interrupt the boot and choose a previous version of the
Kernel on the Guest, it says the following and fails to boot. The
guests use a single disk image that has the SWAP and Root partitions.

Is this happening because the version of the kernel on the Dom0 is way
too old for guests to boot? I am just a bit hesitant in rebooting my
server for the new kernel to take effect unless I am sure :)

device-mapper: dm-raid45: initialized v0.2429
Scanning and configuring dmraid supported devices
Scanning logical volumes
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
Activating logical volumes
  Volume group "VolGroup00" not found
Creating root device.
Mounting root filesystem.
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up other filesystems.
Setting up new root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init.
unmounting old /dev
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

"The secret impresses no-one, the trick you use it for is everything"
- Alfred Borden (The Prestiege)