[CentOS-virt] Mounting LVM contained ntfs systems.

Ben M. centos at rivint.com
Sat Feb 20 18:02:10 UTC 2010

Using CentOS 5.4 Xen Virtualization "stock install"

Added rpmforge NTFS extension for mount command.

Scenario: Have mirror dd'd off to "backup" unmounted LV contained
Windows machine. Within the LVM volume are two NTFS partitions formatted
by Win2k8.

Issue: How can I mount this? I need to verify file existence and run
batch of file compare checks.

If I try to mount the LV:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[root at vm1 ~]# mount -t ntfs /dev/thisvg00/thisw2kwe-b4change /mnt/ntfs
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/mapper/serv1vg00-w2kwe--b4cert': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/mapper/serv1vg00-w2kwe--b4cert' doesn't seem to have a
valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

Would I have had an easier situation if I just had made one big C:
partition instead of two (1 for OS and progs, other for data and
applications)?