[CentOS-virt] Xen box down

Mon Jan 4 21:16:28 UTC 2010
Mr. X <tlviewer at yahoo.com>

--- On Mon, 1/4/10, Ben M. <centos at rivint.com> wrote:

> From: Ben M. <centos at rivint.com>
> Subject: [CentOS-virt] Xen box down
> To: centos-virt at centos.org
> Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 12:36 PM
> My stock CentOS 5.4 box won't come up
> after a reboot as reported from my
> office.
>
> Error is: "duplicate or bad block in use"
>
> Before rebooting xm dmsg had printk suppressed messages.
>
> The box is remote, 2 hour drive. Some advice on what
> hardware to bring
> with me and how to approach this via fsck would be
> welcome.
>
> Its an nvidia dmraid boot on WD Velocirapters.

Was there a kernel update? Sometimes the new initrd does not support dmraid. If this is applicable, boot into the old working kernel and run mkinitrd against the new kernel, reboot and x-fingers. This has worked for me in the past.

My 18 yo kid has an ich5 Raid0 dual boot of Winxp/Fedora going for almost 4 years. Once when updating the kernel it was necessary to rebuild the initrd.

--
Mark