[CentOS-virt] Windows Xen VM's have high guest CPU usage and poor performance

Fri Jan 22 14:20:47 UTC 2010
Ryan Pugatch <rpug at linux.com>

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> Oh, one more thing.. I noticed you had apic=0 in the WinXP config.
> Try changing that to 1. Not sure if that helps, but worth trying.
>
> Also, are you running latest CentOS 5.4 with updates on dom0?
>
> If yes, you might want to try Xen 3.4.2 from http://gitco.de/repo/
> to see if that makes a difference.
>
> -- Pasi

Hi Pasi,

To answer all of your questions:

I am for sure using the GPLPV drivers.

I have used the guest via VNC and RDP and received the same performance.

The XP guest does not appear to have high i/owait.

I have tried both apic=0 and apic=1.

And my host OS is all up to date.

Xen 3.4.2 may be an option, but I think I am going to pursue VMWare ESXi
at this point.

I appreciate your help and all of your suggestions.

Thanks,
Ryan