[CentOS-virt] Windows Xen VM's have high guest CPU usage and poor performance

Fri Jan 22 19:27:05 UTC 2010
Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com>

On 01/22/2010 09:20 AM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Xen 3.4.2 may be an option, but I think I am going to pursue VMWare ESXi
> at this point.

Be careful with glibc versions with VMWare on CentOS.  They haven't
bothered to update for 5.4, and it's very crashy.  You can get the
libc.so from 5.3 and put it in its library path to help.  Search on
'vmware glibc 5.4'.

If you're willing to switch from Xen, you might also try out KVM.  It's
much easier to deal with than the VMWare tomcat/browser/browser-plugin
monstrosity, especially if you use X.  I've got a Win2K3 machine here in
an old version of KVM (less optimized) and launching Firefox only
briefly moved the CPU meter to 23%.  IOW, it seems normal.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle