[CentOS-virt] Xen HVM domU won't start since updates to 2.6.18-164.15.1 kernels

Aaron Clark ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net
Tue Mar 30 02:47:54 UTC 2010

On 03/29/2010 09:37 PM, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> ----- "Aaron Clark"<ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net>  wrote:
>
>> qemu: could not open serial device 'none'
>
> http://os-drive.com/files/docbook/xen-faq.html#serial_console_hvm

I will give this a look to see if it shed any light on the situation.

> Does the LV show that it's open (or ever changes state) when the VM attempts to boot? Did you try taking a snapshot of the LV and mucking around with the xen configuration to see if anything changes? Did you update anything else on the machine, like perhaps the BIOS? Can you mount the VM's filesystem? Is its partition table okay? How about the boot loader?

- The LV goes to Open when the VM starts and stays that way until the VM
is destroyed
- I have tried messing with the virsh/xen config repeatedly after taking
backups of them
- The host machine has had no hardware or firmware updates applied to it
- I can and have mounted the VM's file systems using kpartx with no
troubles at all
- When I dd'd the LV to a .img file and started it with KVM, the
Bootloader appears as expected

Baffled,
Aaron
--
"The goblins are in charge of maintenance?  Why not just set it on fire
now and call it a day?"