[CentOS-virt] Xen HVM domU won't start since updates to 2.6.18-164.15.1 kernels

Sergio Charpinel Jr. sergiocharpinel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 12:33:39 UTC 2010

Aaron,

Seems to be something related to your block device.

Try this config file:
name = "Belldandy"
maxmem = 256
memory = 256
vcpus = 1
builder = "hvm"
kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
boot = "c"
on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"
device_model = "/usr/lib64/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
disk = [ "phy:/dev/SystemsVG/Belldandy,hda,w" ]
vif = [ "mac=00:16:3e:1d:43:df,bridge=xenbr0,script=vif-bridge" ]
vncpasswd='YOURPASSHERE'
vnclisten="YOURDOM0 IP HERE"
vnc=1

Using one of this options:
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/SystemsVG/Belldandy, ioemu:hda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/SystemsVG/Belldandy, sda,w' ]
disk = [ 'phy:/dev/SystemsVG/Belldandy, xvda,w' ]

You can try comment your vif line, maybe is something related to it, and it
won't start.

Then, try to connect to vnc server: dom0ip:5900

What's the difference between yours domU config files ? Did you see any
other error in xend.log ? If there is no difference at all, try to fsck your
lvm partition.

2010/3/29 Aaron Clark <ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net>

> On 03/29/2010 09:37 PM, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> > ----- "Aaron Clark"<ophidian at ophidian.homeip.net>  wrote:
> >
> >> qemu: could not open serial device 'none'
> >
> > http://os-drive.com/files/docbook/xen-faq.html#serial_console_hvm
>
> I will give this a look to see if it shed any light on the situation.
>
> > Does the LV show that it's open (or ever changes state) when the VM
> attempts to boot? Did you try taking a snapshot of the LV and mucking around
> with the xen configuration to see if anything changes? Did you update
> anything else on the machine, like perhaps the BIOS? Can you mount the VM's
> filesystem? Is its partition table okay? How about the boot loader?
> >

> - The LV goes to Open when the VM starts and stays that way until the VM
> is destroyed
> - I have tried messing with the virsh/xen config repeatedly after taking
> backups of them
> - The host machine has had no hardware or firmware updates applied to it
> - I can and have mounted the VM's file systems using kpartx with no
> troubles at all
> - When I dd'd the LV to a .img file and started it with KVM, the
> Bootloader appears as expected
>
> Baffled,
> Aaron
> --
> "The goblins are in charge of maintenance?  Why not just set it on fire
> now and call it a day?"
> --Whip Tongue, Viashino Technician

Sergio Roberto Charpinel Jr.