[CentOS-virt] Resizing EXT3 partition in guest instance CentOS5

Wed Jan 26 10:37:21 UTC 2011
Poh Yong Hwang <yongsan at gmail.com>

Hi,

I have two guest vm instance running CentOS 5 with ext3 partition. I will
like to reduce 1 VM harddisk space and using the 'release' harddisk space to
add onto my second VM. Basically I need to know how can I reduce and
increase an ext3 partition in CentOS KVM. I did a search and basically i can
do it by booting the VM using Knoppix and use Gparted to reduce and increase
the diskspace. I am thinking of the following

1) Boot first VM using Knoppix
2) Reduce the ext3 partition disk size using Gparted
3) Shutdown the VM and resize the diskspace using Virtual Manager
4) Increae the diskspace of the second VM using Virtual Manager
5) Boot up second VM using Knoppix
6) Increase the ext3 partition disk size using Gparted
7) Reboot the second VM

As this is the first time i am doing it, will these work? Anyone has
experience resiziing their EXT3 partition in KVM environment before?

Thanks!

Regards
yongsan