[CentOS-virt] CentOS-6.0 and LXC

Nenad Opsenica nenad at panline.net
Tue Jul 19 05:02:00 EDT 2011

Always Learning wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 08:22 +1000, Matt Paine wrote:
>

>> As far as I am aware, KVM uses the cpu hardware to run completely
>> different operating systems independently of the host.
>>

>> LXC is similar to Linux-VServer, or virtuozzo, where you are always
>> running a base kernel, and can run multiple init's at the same time.

> Thank you for your explanation. It is most helpful. To summarise what I
> think is correct: One can run multiple LXC containers, each containing
> an identical version of the main host operating system but processes are
> separate from the others. KVM creates a type of 'container' allowing
> different host operating systems to run in that container.
>
> Can one run inside a LXC container a KVM ?
>
> Can one run inside a KVM some LXC containers ?
>
> Or is the simultaneous usage on the same machine of LXC and KVM mutually
> exclusive or incompatible ?
>
> Thank you again.

I have no experience with LXC, but I have been running Linux-Vserver
inside KVM container, without any problem. I suppose that it is the same
with LXC.

Running KVM inside LXC I haven't tried, but if it is possible I still
think it is not such a good idea. Any disturbance in some of the LXCs
will make problem to others (e.g. kernel driver crash will reflect on
all LXCs and, therefore, all KVMs).

I think that running LXC/Linux-Vserver inside KVM machine is a great
tool to "light virtualize" several small servers inside one "large" KVM.

Regards,

    Nenad