[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Thu Oct 27 02:14:05 UTC 2011
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

trey wrote
------------------------------

You can do virt-manager remotely.  Either connect to libvirt remotely
through a locally running instance of virt-manager or via X11 forwarding.  I
do the 2nd method with no GUI installed on the server.  See here for minimal
packages needed...
http://itscblog.tamu.edu/startup-guide-for-kvm-on-centos-6/  .  I do that
from a Mac.  My home desktop is Linux so for that i only remote connect to
libvirt with my user ( not root) account using PolicyKit.   Instructions for
that also on the link above.
---------------------

Yea, I am afraid going command line only is impossible as suggested by so many. Even you
have installed X to make it work.

I was able to do one install where I did the virtual host package first.
Then I would install x and desktop. This would allow me to stay in command line
and go to desktop by using startx...then ctrl-alt-backspace out of it when done.

According to a few sources, it is impossible to use local install sources through virt-install
but virt-manager would work. Locally, not remotely.

Since X seems to HAVE to be installed whether you use virt-viewer, virt-manager, vnc, or
just about anything else, I guess I would have to ask redhat why the virtual host package included
no gui system at all...

I think that is the way I am going to go, just x and desktop via a startx, then get out when done.
I can see no viable local solution available at all.

It seemed to work okay. And it allows a local iso to be used preventing the need for any remote
programs added....and allowing me to keep port 22 off, closing the host off completely for security
except for my ipmi card. And that is preferred.

thanks for helping all. I guess using command line without x/desktop/etc and being local is not
possible for rhel/centos yet. C'est live, must move on and go with what works regardless....whee
on to next problem.