[CentOS-virt] using local media file to install guest

Thu Oct 27 02:59:27 UTC 2011
Eric Shubert <ejs at shubes.net>

On 10/26/2011 07:14 PM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> trey wrote
> ------------------------------
>
> You can do virt-manager remotely.  Either connect to libvirt remotely
> through a locally running instance of virt-manager or via X11 forwarding.  I
> do the 2nd method with no GUI installed on the server.  See here for minimal
> packages needed...
> http://itscblog.tamu.edu/startup-guide-for-kvm-on-centos-6/  .  I do that
> from a Mac.  My home desktop is Linux so for that i only remote connect to
> libvirt with my user ( not root) account using PolicyKit.   Instructions for
> that also on the link above.
> ---------------------
>
> Yea, I am afraid going command line only is impossible as suggested by so many. Even you
> have installed X to make it work.
>
> I was able to do one install where I did the virtual host package first.
> Then I would install x and desktop. This would allow me to stay in command line
> and go to desktop by using startx...then ctrl-alt-backspace out of it when done.
>
> According to a few sources, it is impossible to use local install sources through virt-install
> but virt-manager would work. Locally, not remotely.
>
> Since X seems to HAVE to be installed whether you use virt-viewer, virt-manager, vnc, or
> just about anything else, I guess I would have to ask redhat why the virtual host package included
> no gui system at all...

This is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!
You can run virt-manager on a separate machine, connected via network to
the KVM server. The server DOES NOT NEED TO HAVE X INSTALLED AT ALL.

> I think that is the way I am going to go, just x and desktop via a startx, then get out when done.
> I can see no viable local solution available at all.
>
> It seemed to work okay. And it allows a local iso to be used preventing the need for any remote
> programs added....and allowing me to keep port 22 off, closing the host off completely for security
> except for my ipmi card. And that is preferred.
>
> thanks for helping all. I guess using command line without x/desktop/etc and being local is not
> possible for rhel/centos yet.

I just witnessed it being done on Saturday. It is possible, now. This
was a CentOS6 host, with minimal install.

--
-Eric 'shubes'