[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

Russell Bryant

rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 16:01:10 UTC 2014

On 08/11/2014 11:36 AM, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hello!  I'm looking at options for configuring an OpenStack CI job that
>> tests OpenStack components with the latest versions of libvirt and qemu.
>>
>> Fedora's virt-preview [1] repository is pretty much what we need.
>> However, we would really rather run this job using CentOS.  The job's
>> configuration needs to work for longer than Fedora's release schedule
>> would allow.
>>
>> Is anyone looking at doing something like this for CentOS?
>
> Is Fedora's virt-preview for Fedora updates, or for testing Fedora N+1?

It's a separate repo entirely.  I suspect it includes the versions that
would be in N+1.

> In general, CentOS will be pulling changes directly from upstream
> RHEL, and so won't be able (I don't think) to provide something like
> that for core packages.
>
> We can of course do that for the Virt-SIG repos; at the moment that's
> limited to Xen4CentOS (although we may do an updated qemu at some
> point).  Notably, it would not include KVM.  For those, having a
> preview for updates -- particularly updating major version (like Xen
> 4.2 -> 4.4) would make a lot of sense.

Yeah, I was thinking of this as a separate testing repo from the virt
SIG, not updates to core repos.

For my particular use case, not having updated KVM isn't a big deal.  We
just need the latest qemu.  All testing happens inside of a cloud VM,
without any hardware virt support exposed.

> What exactly is it that you're hoping to test?  It sounds almost like
> you're not hoping to test the distro, but new versions of the upstream
> software.

That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
testing repo with that software included would be perfect.

--
Russell Bryant