[CentOS-virt] virt-preview repo for CentOS?

George Dunlap

dunlapg at umich.edu
Mon Aug 11 17:58:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> That's right.  We want to test OpenStack with bleeding edge versions of
> libvirt and qemu, but want the underlying OS to be something supported
> for a longer period of time than a given Fedora release.  CentOS + a
> testing repo with that software included would be perfect.

But on the whole, it sounds like your goals and the goals of the Virt
SIG are at odds.  The Virt SIG wants to provide a stable base; the
"(1)" group of people mentioned in the Fedora virt-preview wiki page.
As it happens, we plan on updating our libvirt package fairly
frequently at first; but that's just to get some important Xen
functionality in as soon as possible.  Once the Xen functionality for
libvirt has stabilized, we'll probably stop.  Our plan for qemu was to
re-build the exact RHEL package, but with snapshotting enabled.

What you're describing would essentially be a completely separate
project: designed for people (like yourselves) who want bleeding-edge
versions.

Is there a reason you can't just download and build upstream qemu and
libvirt yourselves, and build them on top of CentOS?  That's more or
less what the Xen Project automated testing infrastructure does for
testing (although it uses Debian as a base rather than CentOS).

Or, if you were willing to do the maintenance on such a repo, we might
consider adding such a thing into the Virt SIG.  But it would be you
(or other like-minded people) doing the builds either way.

 -George