[CentOS-virt] Joining the SIG - oVirt project

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 07:30:50 UTC 2014

Hi,
I just joined the CentOS-virt call yesterday for the first time and it was a pleasure to meet you there.
My name is Sandro Bonazzola[1] and I'm a member of the integration team and the release engineering manager for oVirt project[2].

oVirt is an open source alternative to VMware vSphere, and provides an excellent KVM management interface for multi-node virtualization.
On each release we provide packages for Fedora and CentOS 6 and starting with the upcoming release 3.5.1 we're going to provide packages also for
CentOS 7.

We started looking at the CentOS virt SIG a few months ago and we finally decided to join.
With me there is also David Caro (in CC), he's member of the oVirt infra and CI team and he's also in oVirt release engineering team.

As discussed in the call today, a first thing we're looking at is getting live snapshot capability in qemu-kvm package provided within CentOS.
Currently we're delivering qemu-kvm-rhev within oVirt repositories, taking the src.rpm from CentOS repo and rebuilding it with the rhev flag for
enabling the capability.

Another interesting point for us is providing a live image with oVirt pre-installed.
We're now composing oVirt Live[3] iso images using CentOS 6 packages as base also if original kickstart files came from Scientific Linux.
We would like to make it fully CentOS based and hopefully move to CentOS 7.

We also provide oVirt Node[4] which is also based on CentOS 6 and is a small, robust operating system image using minimal resources while providing
the ability to control virtual machines running upon it.

Both the spins can take advantage of having packages like qemu-kvm-rhev or in some cases glusterfs or libvirt or other dependencies updates as well as
other projects that may rely on the CentOS virt SIG.

On the other hand, having latest oVirt RPMs within CentOS will allow CentOS and oVirt users to work with
a single repository.

We're now looking at CentOS site gathering info about the SIG, how to join and how to contribute.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sbonazzo
[2] http://www.ovirt.org
[3] http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_Live
[4] http://www.ovirt.org/Node