[CentOS-virt] Video resolution for CentOS guest

Tue Feb 24 21:18:36 UTC 2015
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

On 24/02/15 04:15 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 02/23/2015 10:53 PM, Digimer wrote:
>>
>> On 23/02/15 11:11 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>> Would someone please point me to some reasonably current
>>> instructions for getting greater than 1024x768 video resolution
>>> for a CentOS 6 guest on a CentOS 6 KVM/qemu host?  When I
>>> search online I find stuff from 2009 and 2010 saying, "For
>>> details see ...," and linking to a URL that no longer exists,
>>> or pages that say, "You need to switch from VNC to Spice," and
>>> giving a long list of out-of-date instructions for doing so.
>>> (With virt-manager it takes 2 clicks to do that.  Of course it
>>> doesn't help -- still maxes out at 1024x768.)
>>>
>>> I've found that I can just append "vga=0x380" to the kernel
>>> command line and see Plymouth come up with the full graphical
>>> boot screen in the correct 1440x900 resolution, but as soon as
>>> gdm starts up, the display scrambles.  I find suggestions to
>>> generate an xorg.conf file, but no mention of what to put in
>>> it.  I can run "Xorg -configure", but the resulting file
>>> contains nothing about video modes, so it's not apparent what
>>> needs to be added.
>>>
>>> I find it particularly annoying that a Windows 7 guest can set
>>> any resolution I want up to 2560x1600, but a Linux guest can't
>>> go higher than 1024x768.
>>
>> I played with this and found that, in fact, I had to switch the
>> spice / qxl. With that change, I had no trouble pushing EL6 to
>> much higher resolutions.
>
> Thank you for the reassurance that it _should_ work. I finally got
> it going.  The VM still always starts out in 1024x768 and I have to
> set the higher resolution every time I log in.  For a while, that
> was working only the first time I set it, and on subsequent logins
> any attempt to change the resolution either locked up or caused the
> Xorg server to crash.  All the RPMs verified OK and a forced fsck
> of the filesystems found nothing.  I eventually just reinstalled
> the whole VM, and it's working now.
>
> The whole thing was bringing back bad memories of an ancient
> version of Slackware and kernel version 0.99pl53.

In my experience, once I set the resolution, it keeps that resolution
through reboots/logins. The initial login page sits at 1024x768, but
once logged in, it takes the resolution I asked for.

- --
Digimer
access to education?