[CentOS-virt] Video resolution for CentOS guest

Wed Feb 25 22:13:51 UTC 2015
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

On 02/24/2015 03:18 PM, Digimer wrote:

> In my experience, once I set the resolution, it keeps that resolution
> through reboots/logins. The initial login page sits at 1024x768, but
> once logged in, it takes the resolution I asked for.

It's working that way for me now that I have installed kernel-ml-3.19.0
from elrepo in the guest.  With the 2.6.32 kernel that CentOS 6
provides, the behavior could best be described as "confused."  I might
get a login screen at 1024x768 but with the content rendered as though
it were 1440x900 and the login dialog half off the edge of the screen.
Or, I might be logged in and looking at a screen properly drawn at
1024x768, but when I bring up the display preferences dialog it claims I
am already at 1440x900 and refuses to change.  And, occasionally when I
would try to change the resolution the display would lock up and, one
time, the whole X server crashed.

All that goes away with the guest running 3.19.0 kernel, and that also
makes sound work properly in the guest, so I'm happy now, at last.

                 Do NOT delete it.