[CentOS-virt] NIC Stability Problems Under Xen 4.4 / CentOS 6 / Linux 3.18

Kevin Stange kevin at steadfast.net
Fri Feb 24 17:51:41 UTC 2017

On 02/21/2017 05:32 PM, Kevin Stange wrote:
> On 02/21/2017 11:50 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 02/21/2017 11:47 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>>

>>> Kevin,
>>>
>>> Please try the 4.9.11-22 kernel that I just released for CentOS-6 (along
>>> with the newer linux-firmare packages and xfsprogs).
>>>
>>> If you enable the xen-testing repository in your CentOS-Xen.repo file
>>> (assuming it is pointing to xen-44 and not xen-46) then a 'yum upgrade'
>>> should replace all the needed packages.
>>>
>>> The actual path is here for the packages:
>>>
>>> https://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/6/virt/x86_64/xen-44/
>>>
>>> Hopefully this helps.
>>>

>> I should have said .. 'just releaed for testing' :)
>>
>> I have been using this for 4 or 5 days with no issues in production, but
>> it needs testing before final release :)
>
> Currently I've moved most of my servers onto the 4.4 kernel from xen
> made easy and they've been stable.  I have some indications of an issue
> with one of my 3.18 servers right now which required it to be rebooted,
> so I'm going to bring the 4.9 kernel up on that server to see how it
> does.  It may take a few weeks or more to draw any conclusions.

Currently running 4.9.11 on a few servers and they've been working fine.
 No new issues have come up so far, anyway.

I still can't rest assured the NIC issue is fixed, but no 4.4 or 4.9
server has yet had a NIC issue, with some being up almost a full month.
It looks promising! (I'm knocking on all the wood everywhere, though.)

--
Kevin Stange
Chief Technology Officer