[CentOS-virt] Centos + VM + public ip

Subscriber

ml-lists at agoris.net.ua
Sun Sep 13 12:47:00 UTC 2020

> Hi,
>
> I've got a dedicated server with OVH and I'd like to host a public VM. I'd like
> Centos OS 7 or 8, I installed KVM already, I got the VM and bought the IP and
> created a virtual mac id. I know I have to bridge it somehow but I can't seem
> to find a proper tutorial. Do you know where to start?

You can do next:
1) Create bridge interface (for example br0) on dedicated server. Associate this interface with your Ethernet interface and assign IP address to br0.
2a) When you would create VM add parameter --network=bridge:br0 to the virt-install in command line. Or smth similar if you create VM in another way.
2b) Or edit xml file for your VM and add or change config:
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='insert_you_virtual_mac_here'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x08' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
3) Inside the VM assign real/public IP to you Ethernet (probably eth0) interface.

That's all.

If you have additional questions or you need more detail explanation you can write me directly.