[Centos] How to get 3Ware 9500S controller card working in CentOS 3.1?

Thu Jul 8 23:55:21 UTC 2004
Sean Staats <sstaats at questia.com>

My goal is to be able to install to the drive array on the 3Ware
controller card.  3Ware does provide a RH WS 3 driver that I've tried to
use; however, the RH Enterprise 3 WS driver doesn't work since that
kernel is older than the CentOS-3.1 install kernel.

I'm trying to create a centOS-3.1 installation driver disk for the 3ware
9500S card; however, I'm not having much luck.  I've compiled the
drivers on a stock centOS 3.1 install and created a modules.cgz file
(using find . -depth | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -c > ../modules.cgz) with
the newly-compiled driver modules.  Here are the contents of the
modules.cgz file I created:
2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0BOOT/i386/3w-9xxx.o
2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0hugemem/i386/3w-9xxx.o
2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0/i386/3w-9xxx.o
2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0smp/i386/3w-9xxx.o

I've also tried the above without the 'i386' subdirectory.

The stock install kernel version is 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL.c0.  That IS what I
should use for the modules directory name right?
I then created a driver disk with the following files:
modinfo
modules.cgz
modules.dep
pcitable
rhdd-6.1
src

When I boot the install CD, I type: "linux dd".  I then tell the
installer that the drivers are on fd0.  The installer reads the disk,
but doesn't find the driver and gives me this message:
"No devices of the appropriate type were found on this driver disk.
Would you like to manually select the driver, continue anyway, or load
another driver disk?"

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?  Am I going about this the hard
way?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
-Sean