[Centos] Need apache ftp help please

Thu Sep 23 23:07:06 UTC 2004
John Newbigin <jn at it.swin.edu.au>

As you can see from the other posts, ftp is tricky.  Someone already
suggested that you use scp/ssh which is what I would recommend.  There
is a decent windows program called winscp which is similar to windows
ftp programs.

There is also a command line tool from putty called pscp.

When it comes to NAT, you need to look at both the internal and external
networks separately.

Firstly, assuming you want the external network (The internet) to
connect to your web server, you need to allow port 80.  If you want the
external network to talk to your ssh server (for scp) then you need port
22 as well.

If ssh is only for internal then you don't need to worry about NAT.

Also (AFAIK) if you are using NAT then there should be a 1 to 1 mapping
from internal to external IP addresses, in which case it is quite likely
that all ports are translated and forwarded anyway.  If you mean you
have a 1 to many (Only one IP on the internet) then you need to nominate
which IP of the many to forward connections to (port forwarding).

None of this has anything to do with a command line and everything to do
with reading the manuals/FAQs/HOWTOs etc.

John.

--
John Newbigin - Computer Systems Officer
School of Information Technology