[CentOS] CentOS 4 with MySQL 4.1

Fri Apr 1 17:55:43 UTC 2005
Chris Hammond <chris at tac.esi.net>

Greetings all!

I have built a new server with MySQL and have noticed that before even
doing anything
to it I found that the MySQL logins were much slower than the 4.0 server
I used prior to it.
After moving data over to it, the application, (JFFNMS) when it would
login to it would take
forever getting data from it.  It would finally get to a point where
MySQL would not respond
to anything including MySQLAdministrator.  So I removed the 4.1 version
that came with
CentOS 4, I downloaded and installed the latest 4.0 version from the
MySQL website and
installed it and it is very fast even after moving the data to it.  The
problem I have is that I
need php-mysql and perl-DBD-MySQL and when I install these two rpms, it
removes the
MySQL-server and MySQL-client rpm's that I retrieved from the MySQL
website.  So
I am at a loss of what to do.  I would prefere to go with MySQL 4.1 just
because that is what
comes with CentOS 4, short of that I need php-mysql to work with 4.0.
Databases and
custome building of RPM's is beyond my capabilities.

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
Chris