[CentOS] CentOS 4 with MySQL 4.1

Fri Apr 1 18:41:23 UTC 2005
Troy Engel <tengel at fluid.com>

Chris Hammond wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> I have built a new server with MySQL and have noticed that before even
> doing anything
> to it I found that the MySQL logins were much slower than the 4.0 server
> I used prior to it.

Just as a note, I have not noticed this problem at all -- my logins are
just as fast/fine/snappy as always. Not sure what's wrong with your stuff..

> I am at a loss of what to do.  I would prefere to go with MySQL 4.1 just
> because that is what
> comes with CentOS 4, short of that I need php-mysql to work with 4.0.
> Databases and
> custome building of RPM's is beyond my capabilities.

You can use the builtin 4.1 *client* binaries (which are what php and
it's ilk are linked to), while using the 4.0 server binaries. All you
need to do is uninstall "mysql-server" RPM, install your downloaded 4.0
binary package to /usr/local/mysql/ (eg), and run the server from there
using it's custom initscript.

Make sure the /etc/my.cnf is all configured nicely before bootstrapping
the downloaded 4.0 install, and everything should just click (within
reason). Most importantly, make sure the socket path and database path
is set.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer