[CentOS] spamassassin - sa-learn - SOLVED

Fri Apr 1 17:57:16 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 08:35 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> > OK - perhaps my question should have been directed to 'MailScanner' list
> >
> > My usage is for company owned/operated mail servers and my specialty is
> > 5 - 50 users on the network
> >
> > Thus, I am thinking that it should be a global database
> >
> > I am using MailScanner and it seems to be the 'caller' of spamassassin.
> > Spamassassin evaluates and scores the incoming mails and MailScanner
> > appropriately tags the header and sieve will direct the 5+ scores into
> > the users SPAM folder.
>
> Would love to help you there, but my scanner of choice is MIMEDefang,
> and I don't know exactly how MailScanner is using SpamAssassin.  For
> example, MIMEDefang uses its own configuration file for SpamAssassin
> (not default one) called sa-mimedefang.cf.  In that file to use system
> wide autowhitelisting and bayes, one would place something along the lines:
>
> #Enable AWL
> use_auto_whitelist         1
> auto_whitelist_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-autowhitelist
> auto_whitelist_file_mode   0640
>
> #Enable Bayes
> use_bayes                           1
> use_bayes_rules                     1
> bayes_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang-bayes
> bayes_file_mode                     0640
> bayes_auto_learn                    1
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam  0.0
> bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam     15.0
>
> I know this is example how to get it working in something completely
> different, but hopefully it might provide some ideas to solve problem in
> your case too.  As you said, MailScanner list might give you more
> usefull answers...
----
Yeah - I'm an idiot -

from /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf

# =============== MailScanner: spam.assassin.prefs.conf ===============
# Version 2.13.1

# SpamAssassin preferences for MailScanner users should be placed in
# this file to avoid being overwritten by a SpamAssassin upgrade.
# For a complete listing of configurable parameters, please see:

#       http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

# =============== SpamAssassin Preferences ===============
#
# the file installed by SpamAssassin:

#       /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

# Should be disabled
# typically use these commands:

#  mv /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf \
#  /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.saved

# When running SpamAssassin or sa-learn from the command line,
# or a script, you should always specify that SpamAssassin use
# this file to load SpamAssassin preferences, i.e:

#       sa-learn --ham -p /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf \
#       --mbox ham_mbox

#       spamassassin -D -p etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf \
#       --lint

----
duh - so it has been working but I couldn't tell because when I tested
from command line, it went to non-operative local.cf file.

what I did discover and will report for those who might follow in my
tracks...

I updated to Dag's version of spamassassin, installed spamassassin-tools
(installed some spamassassin plugins that were used by MailScanner)

I moved /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
to /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.saved #finally decided to RTFM

set path for bayes in /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
bayes_path /etc/MailScanner/bayes/bayes

downloaded starter bayes for SA 3.0 from SFL...
http://www.fsl.com/support/bayes-Linux-SA-3.0-starter-db.tar.gz

untarred it in /etc/MailScanner/bayes

restarted MailScanner and was good to go.

More to follow

Thanks

Craig