[CentOS] MailScanner With One vs Two Postfix Instances

Sat Apr 9 23:34:36 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 17:32 -0400, Kennedy Clark wrote:
> An interesting point came up while recently discussing my Postfix
> virtual_alias issues with the MailScanner list.  Apparently there is
> some risk with the "two instances of postfix" approach described in:
> http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/12/30/Guides
>
> It sounds like Postfix and MailScanner can step on each other in the
> deferred queue.  They recommended the single Postfix instance "hold"
> mechanism recommended here:
> http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/postfix.shtml
>
> Here are the steps I used to convert:
>
> 1) service MailScanner stop
>
> 2) Edit MailScanner.conf and change
>       Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix.in/deferred
>       Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
>
> 3) Rename /etc/postfix.in to /etc/postfix.old-in
>
> 4) Rename /var/spool/postfix.in to /var/spool/postifx.old-in
>
> 5) Edit /etc/postfix/master.cf and uncomment the "smtp inet n - n - -
> smtpd" that was commented out in Step #12 of the 2-step instructions
>
> 6) Edit /etc/postfix/main.cf and add:
>         header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
>
> 7) Create /etc/postfix/header_checks containing:
>         /^Received:/ HOLD
>
> 8) service MailScanner start
>
> And you should be back in business.  Note that the
> /etc/init.d/MailScanner script still references both an in and out
> Postfix instance; however, in looking at the code, once
> /etc/postfix.in is gone/renamed the "in" startup action becomes a
> no-op.
>
> I should also point out that there is absolutely NO implied criticism
> of the SUPERB guides Johnny has put out.  I have found them to be
> extremely helpful -- thanks, Johnny!

No offense taken ... :)

The new method is a bit easier, and I am working now on a guide for
CentOS-4 that does it the new way and uses cyrus-imapd.

I have used the other way (two postfixes) on several high volume
servers, and have personally had no problems.  Other people have said
they sometimes have issues with the two postfix setup.

As soon as we finish CentOS-4.1 (or maybe before, depending on how long
RH takes to go from the beta update1 to it's release), I should be able
to change my CentOS-3.x guide to the single postfix instance mode and
get a CentOS-4 postfix guide out the door.